The Bauer Boucher Playwriting Awards
Recognizing the work of Kean's playwrights
The Bauer Boucher Playwriting Awards, established in 2014 by Premiere Stages supporters W. John Bauer and Nancy Boucher, recognize the work of one Kean student and one Kean alumnus each year. The Bauer Boucher Awards support Kean University writers with enhanced visibility, dramaturgical feedback, a cash award, and the opportunity to hear their plays read out loud by an ensemble of professional actors.
Premiere Stages accepts submissions for the Bauer Boucher each fall from any writers who are currently attending or have graduated from Kean University, and the Award-winning play is selected in January. After the submission window closes in December, the submissions are read by Premiere Stages staff and a select panel of playwrights, theatre professionals, and educators. One current student will receive a $1000 award and one alumnus will receive a $2000 award; both will receive one-day developmental readings of their new plays with professional casts and directors. Additional playwrights may be selected as finalists and awarded $100.
Available in PDF
- Submissions are accepted November 12, 2021, through 11:59 p.m. on December 13, 2021.
- Playwrights must be current students in good academic standing or graduates of Kean University.
- Plays must be unpublished and have never received a professional production.
- Scripts must be one-acts, full-length, or solo shows.
- Scripts that are incomplete must contain at least 25 pages and attach a scene breakdown for the entire play.
- Previous winning plays and finalist plays are ineligible.
- Playwrights must be available for the development of their script (see schedule).
- All plays must be submitted as a PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies will not be accepted.
What to include
- A brief synopsis of the play (no more than half a page).
- Character breakdown.
- The playwright’s bio or resume.
- Script (or as much of the script that is currently written & scene breakdown of full play).
Questions or concerns
Nov 12, 2021
Dec 13, 2021
Early January, 2022
Winner and finalists selected
Late January, 2022
Winners receive professional readings; date & locations TBA